23 Sep IoTItaly – for the future of the Internet of Things in Italy
The Internet of Things has massive potentials but Italy risks to miss out such opportunity. This is why IoTItaly was born. An association whose mission is to represent the industry of the IoT and maximize the achievement of its goals in Italy.
I am just back from the IoT Solutions World Congress of Barcelona, the largest conference in Europe on the Internet of Things where Italy was well represented in terms of number of participants. However, the general feeling was that countries like the UK, France and Germany as well as the US and the Asian countries are more consolidated in the IoT.
The effect of the Internet of Things on the global economy
Based on a report published by Accenture, the industrial Internet of Things will lead by 2030 to an increase of the GDP of the US by more than 2% for a value of at least $ 6.1 billion and Germany and the UK might increase their GDP by 1.7% and 1.8%.
On the contrary, Italy is among the countries where the industrial Internet of Things will lead to a much lower growth due to, among others, limited infrastructure, skills or institutional foundations required to support the widespread adoption of new technologies.
The recent initiatives in Italy
The recent initiatives adopted by the Government in relation to ultra band plan that requires investments also on smart cities and the Internet of Things and the setting up of a task force on smart cities certainly are good starting points. But, there is no doubt that such initiatives require a considerable involvement by private entities to avoid that they are vanished.
This is because the Internet of Things impacts on a number of different sectors and only a joined approach can ensure that the different actors can work and bring forward initiatives aimed at its development, also cooperating with public authorities.
A famous sentence from John Nash (the mathematician to which the movie “The beautiful mind” is inspired) is
“The Best for the Group comes when everyone in the group does what’s best for himself AND the group“
And IoTItaly wants to:
- become a think tank for the whole sector of the Internet of Things in Italy;
- represent towards the market and public authorities the interests of its members as a joint initiative of the market rather than an initiative of single entities; and
- cooperate with public authorities in order to foster initiatives, financing and regulatory changes in the sector addressing them so that the potential results are maximized.
Through a continuous dialogue with the appropriate public authorities, the association intends to
- create the best conditions for the development of activities linked to the IoT in any field representing the common interests of its members in the different circumstances;
- support the activity of its members providing information so that they can better compete at the national and international level; and
- allow the different companies to join their efforts for the success of shared initiatives linked to the Internet of Things.
There is a famous sentence
“United we stand, divided we fall“
and we hope that IoTItaly will contribute to the growth of the Internet of Things putting together its different actors.
The association will be presented on 1 October 2015 during the Meet IoT event in Turin and during the conference there will also be the first meeting of the association. For more information you can visit the website www.iotitaly.net and send an email to [email protected]